A few things I simply have to get off my chest:
- We all have to work for a living, and most of us don’t get paid for what we really love. Seek it out in your spare time anyway. Your older self will thank you for doing so in the future.
- The older we are, the faster we used to run. This applies mostly to politics, and lately, mostly in Alberta. In 2015, we overwhelmingly voted out the Progressive Conservatives after 41 years of “leadership” which was tenuous at best, and decided to give the New Democrat Party a whirl. Before the NDP even has a chance to dust off the furniture, the conservative right wingers are crying for their precious PC’s back. Here’s a newsflash: they had 41 years and you – YOU – voted them out in favour of some fresh air. Give the NDP a chance to get going before you start crying for your familiar, albeit abusive, political parent to come back and love you. Second newsflash: you don’t get that high in politics without stepping on a lot of people on the way up. Deal with it.
- Same goes for the Harper v. Trudeau camp.
- For the over-leveraged oil slingers: Try counting your money while holding your breath. The recession you believe is happening to you right now is only personal. You over-spent, over-leveraged and over-extended yourselves. It’s time to answer for it. The economy is not suffering so much as it is simply taking a break. The skyrocketing value of everything could not sustain itself longterm and we are now only in what is actually a NORMAL economy. The fact that you are giving up your family pets before you give up your smokes or 60-inch TV’s is on you, not the government.
- If, despite Number 4 above, you wish to continue spouting off about this “recession” in Alberta, being “worse than the 80’s”, please make sure that (a) you were alive and cognizant enough to understand the economy in the 1980’s, and (b) please have a look outside your windows and tell me what all those cranes dotting our skyline are doing.
- Just because you’ve given birth to a child, does not automatically mean that you are EVERYONE’S mother. I have a mother, and you don’t hold a candle to her so stop trying.
- Also, women who don’t have children made as conscious a choice as those who did. Respect both.
- The weather since Inauguration Day has been unseasonably warm in parts of Canada. Hot air rises. Coincidence? I think not. It also furthers the claim by realists that climate change is not, in fact, a “hoax”.
- It IS possible to sustain an economy without gang-raping the environment. Our demand for oil, plastics and the like will not diminish. However, we can do so more responsibly and slow the pace of our gluttonous consumption. The answers are so simple an 8 year old could explain them to you. I know just such an 8 year old girl who would love to speak to you, and likely shame you into submission in the process.
- It’s also possible to drive a 1994 Ford Bronco and get better gas mileage and have fewer emissions than many new vehicles being churned out today. Regular maintenance and responsible disposal of oils and parts is key. Don’t buy new when you can keep what you have running.
- Stop glorifying being “busy”. You’re not busy. And no one cares. You’re just over-extending yourselves and one day you’ll wake up dead wondering why you bothered. It’s okay to take a break and do sweet f**k all.
- And lastly, ADOPT SHELTER PETS.
It’s not rocket science, people.